Saturday, April 02, 2005

Maybe X3D Isn't Such a Bad Spec After All

After previously denouncing the X3D specification, I decided to take a look at the competing U3D specification. I skimmed through the specification trying to think about what would be required to implement a U3D reader (the spec mandates a binary encoding with special compression used) when I realized that there aren't any U3D files available for testing U3D implementations. Nowhere. Except when they're embedded in pdf documents. Perhaps one has to be a member of the 3dif to get access to them, but the problems I have with the X3D specification pale in comparison to the no-no of developing a specification that uses a complicated encoding without providing an example file anywhere. Well, I e-mailed the 3dif. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places.

No comments:

Post a Comment